Category: Body Care

The Beauty Product for Everything: Shea Butter

Shea butter derives from the fat of a nut which comes from the African shea tree. Most people use it for its moisturizing benefits, because it is rich in vitamins A and E. Some people even use it for cooking. Its many forms include lotions, body butters, lip balms, hair masks, conditioners, and various types of salves. It is mainly used to treat skin related conditions such as inflammation, wrinkles, eczema, dermatitis, dry scalps, and stretch marks. That being said, it is no secret why shea butter has burst onto the beauty scene – it can be used for almost anything beauty related! Just about anybody can find shea butter, because almost every well-known beauty brand carries some form of it.

One woman who knew about the many uses for shea butter was Eugenia Akuete whose daughter would later name her business EuGenia Shea. Shea butter in its rawest form is most beneficial, and this company sells it at a whopping 95% raw shea. The other 5% are other natural oils such as baobab oil, moringa oil, and other fruit or plant oils. EuGenia Shea has been featured in well-known media such as the New York Times Style Magazine, MSNBC, and the Huffington Post.

Another great aspect of this company is their philanthropic spirit. 15% of their proceeds go back to their female workers in Ghana, Africa in the form of an education fund. They even partner with other companies who give back to the community such as the True Moringa company who have planted trees in the Ghana area and have increased farmers’ incomes by a factor of 10. The company name Eu-Genia means the origin of goodness in Greek, and anyone who takes a glance at this company can see that they stay true to their name.